Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Here Lies Jesus of Nazareth



"So Joseph took the body and wrapped it in a clean linen cloth and laid it in his own new tomb, which he had hewn in the rock. He then rolled a great stone to the door of the tomb and went away. Mary Magdalene and the other Mary were there, sitting opposite the tomb." 

- Matthew 27:59-61

The title of this post was a little weird to write as someone who believes in the resurrection, but I think that modern day followers of Christ often forget that it was true for one day. 

This past Sunday we talked about the fact that you can't really celebrate the resurrection fully unless you fully take in the crucifixion and burial of Jesus Christ. In other words, what does it mean for us to say on Easter, "He is Risen!" if we don't really think about what he is being raised from? 

To be honest, although I preached about this this past Sunday, it's still sinking in for me. What does it mean for Jesus to have died and been buried? What should reflecting on how things were the Saturday before the first Easter Sunday look like for you and for me? 

What did Jesus have to go through after the crucifixion and before the resurrection? 

I don't have all the answers, though I gave some directions for us to go in this past Sunday. Mainly I encouraged us to use this week to reflect on the fact that not only did God actually turn his face away from Jesus on the cross, pouring over him the wrath and punishment that we had earned for ourselves, but that Jesus chose this on our behalf. 

But I'd also like to see how reflecting on the death and burial of Jesus looks like for you. 

I'd love to hear from you! Post your reflections/thoughts here or shoot me a message at ben dot park at unitedlifeministry dot org. 

No comments: